DIY Cloud Lights for your Wedding.

cloud lights

source

How amazing would these look hung around your reception  hall or indeed at an outdoor ceremony! And super easy to make too!!

What you will need:

• Cotton Batting { cleansing pleats to some }
  • Paper Lanterns
  • Flameless Candles{ Ideally Super Cool LED ones }
  • Hot Glue Gun

{ The amounts you will need will depend on the number of lanterns, their size and brightness you want, you might need to test a bit to get your desired effect.}

N.B. I know from others who have contacted me who have also made this Cloud Light that they had issues with the heat created by their chosen Flameless Candles… { the photographer of the beautiful image above, Alexis Mire included }  be sure that little or no heat is generated by the ones you use and with all ‘candles’ do no leave unattended.

Step by Step instructions:

1.Pull at the cotton batting until it looks fluffy, light, and cloud-like.
2.Then, hot glue it to the outside of the paper lantern in various places. { Make sure it’s fluffed to your liking, }
3. Light the candles and stick them inside.
4. Hang the lantern wherever you’d like.

50 Comments

1. by Kaloy on February 2, 2012  12:55 am

Wow, this is so great! What a nice idea, your wedding's gonna look like a heavenly event! Inspired by the skies! Two thumbs up.

wedding photography Sydney

2. by Anonymous on March 8, 2012  12:33 pm

I'm a bit concerned about the combination of heat from the lights and cotton batting... isn't there a possibility of the batting overheating and melting/catching fire?

• by Anonymous on April 12, 2012  2:57 am

I think that if you were worried about overheating you should make sure not to use incandescent lights, Which I believe the LED lights he/she is talking about are not incandescent (heat producing)

3. by Bláithín on March 8, 2012  2:43 pm

Not that I have experienced, but great point to make! { Thank you } Always advisable to be sure that the materials you specifically use can and will work well together. Generally the LED candles that I use create little heat and the 'flame' aspect is never touching the lantern or cotton.

4. by truebluemeandyou on March 8, 2012  3:19 pm

Hi, the source photo is from alexis mire’s Flickr Photostream (I couldn't put a link in because then I couldn't post comment)and her comment was, "so, I almost set my house on fire for this" I would recommend maybe using super cool LED Christmas lights.

5. by Bláithín on March 9, 2012  9:38 am

Hi there truebluemeandyou!

Thank so much for your comment. I've not had an issue with the over heating or flammability as I mentioned before, but I can imagine some might! I really appreciate all the comments and emails I'm getting on this safety issue, I've added in a little N.B. so that other's considering the project will be aware.

Thanks again.

6. by Momo on March 9, 2012  2:27 pm

Soo beautiful. Love it! Thank you..

7. by Angelus on March 13, 2012  8:13 am

How about using LEDs instead of something that could actually burn the place down?

You can buy LED "candles" pretty cheap.

8. by Bláithín on March 13, 2012  9:50 am

Hi there Angelus, thanks for your comment!
    As you can see that is exactly what I recommend!

9. by Anonymous on March 13, 2012  8:54 pm

Hi,do you think that this can be done around a light bulb in a room or something ?

• by Bláithín on March 13, 2012  11:29 pm

Definitely not! That really would be a fire hazard!

• by Joseph Mancini on March 22, 2013  3:31 am

actually, you can. You would need to use LED lights (not incandescent or even CFL) and leave room around the LED bulb for ventilation

10. by Anonymous on March 13, 2012  10:36 pm

Is it batting or stuffing needed for the project? I bought batting, but I think I got the wrong thing.

• by Bláithín on March 13, 2012  11:32 pm

The pack I used said Cleansing Pleats { I've also seen this called batting too. } Mine came looking like neatly folded 'layers' of cotton wadding. You need to pull and tease the cotton batting/ pleats apart for it to 'become cloud like'. Hope that helps :)

11. by Anonymous on March 17, 2012  7:18 am

umm. is there an easy way to turn the lights off with out reaching in there and clicking the led light off?

• by Bláithín on March 17, 2012  8:47 am

Not that I found. Unless of course remote control led candles exist?

• by Anonymous on September 14, 2012  11:00 pm

Yes...remote control L.E.D. candles do exist! :)

12. by Anonymous on March 18, 2012  8:01 pm

Thanks, it really is a beautiful & brilliant idea!

13. by Anonymous on March 31, 2012  12:36 pm

Could you use polyester batting with this? My boys decided I HAD to make them storm clouds ( I have blue LED tea lights ) and I'm going to hang strands of blue teardrop shaped crystals on fishing line from the bottom. Would the polyester batting be too fluffy do you think?

• by Bláithín on April 1, 2012  10:49 am

I've not used Polyester Batting myself so I honestly couldn't say what effect you will get. But please do let us know how you get on! Your additions sound super too! :)

14. by Anonymous on April 9, 2012  8:15 am

Hi! I was wondering if you might know of any way to make it so the light shines in color rather than simple white? Would pasting those big colorful plastic gemstones work to get a colorful shimmery effect?

• by Bláithín on April 9, 2012  6:43 pm

Hi there, I've never added anything to it so I couldn't be sure. I would be concerned about the extra weight { depending on the weight of the stones you are adding } also if they are too close to the LED lights as well. Colour wise you could just use coloured LED lights if you didn't like white.

• by Anonymous on April 9, 2012  11:54 pm

You could always use colored lanterns or paste different colored tissue paper on the outside of white ones.

15. by Anonymous on April 19, 2012  3:18 pm

I loved the idea! I have a diy blog in my native language and i really want to share this in it ( of course with your permission and and i'll add your website's address.) I'm waiting for your permission. Thank you.

• by Bláithín on June 11, 2012  2:39 pm

Of course you can! The photo is not mine though, so be sure to give the proper credit there!

16. by avizaz on April 30, 2012  5:41 am

Actually with my wedding days (been to over 200 weddings and I`m just 21, worked as waiter when was young), I have never seen so original thought, though the Israeli and the American weddings do NOT look the same, its a very nice idea.

17. by Anonymous on June 10, 2012  7:30 pm

Just sayin' hanging your lanterns from fishing line would really add to the illusion :)

18. by LED Accessories on June 25, 2012  8:30 pm

I don't know about you guys but I'm actually liking this. Thanks for sharing!

19. by cubicApocalypse on July 8, 2012  3:32 pm

You know, this same technique could be used for all sorts of other things just by changing the color of the lights. Want explosion lights instead? Replace the white lights with orange, and maybe spray a bit of black paint on the lamp after putting it together. Or if you want a nebula, replace the lights with UV LEDs, glue some glow-in-the-dark airsoft ammo in it here and there for stars, and spray a bit of fluorescent paint on it for wisps of glowing gas.

20. by Bridgette on July 10, 2012  3:49 pm

I was thinking, if you were super careful about making sure this project would not overheat, how ADORABLE would this be for a baby mobile?

• by Bláithín on July 11, 2012  8:44 am

Wouldn't it just Bridgette!! As you can see from the above comments LED lights produce little heat. Although you would want to make sure its well out of reach of the baby and not leave it on unattended!!

21. by Anonymous on July 23, 2012  5:36 pm

These would be cool with couple of glow sticks in them. Prob look like cotton candy and no heat. Only last a few hours though.

22. by Anonymous on August 14, 2012  3:29 pm

The dollar store has the lights that don't get hot at all. Plus they are cheeper there than anywhere else! This idea is also great for a nursery room!

• by Anonymous on December 5, 2012  5:40 pm

Which Dollar store? Dollar Tree, Family Dollar or Dollar General?

• by Lila on July 13, 2014  12:09 am

You can find them at dollar tree but those other places probably have them and most likely last longer!

23. by Anonymous on August 16, 2012  11:43 am

I am using this for my Harry Potter nursery theme...It's the best idea I've seen to recreate the enchanted ceiling at Hogwarts!!! Will use the LED lights, maybe make a few... I think that they will be great nightlights.

24. by Anonymous on August 26, 2012  10:00 am

Maybe research rgb color changing led lighting. ;) hope that helps. --Terah

25. by Anonymous on September 4, 2012  9:41 am

couldnt you use something like glow sticks? or maybe something that isnt so sensative to heat? like the polyfibers of some kind?

26. by Erin on October 8, 2012  12:28 am

Looking forward to this! Even during the day, when the lights aren't needed, the clouds would look marvelous.

27. by Anonymous on October 13, 2012  3:58 am

I did a video on how to do this on my Youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZQ9jqNssA

28. by Bláithín on October 22, 2012  10:31 am

Oohhh thanks for sharing your video! Its different to the method described above but I can see how it works as well!! My only question is, does the lamp used heat up, the fact the cotton is stuck to it?

29. by Rhi Riot on November 9, 2012  5:03 pm

How do you hang it? I have never used Cotton Battling. The photo looks like the batting is what the person is using to hang it, am I correct? If so, is batting strong enough to hold these?
    I love this idea and the hacks other users have placed in the comments!
    Brilliant!
    I think I'm going to hang these in my cubical at work!

• by Leigh Reep on November 30, 2012  9:05 pm

You can use clear fishing line to hang them. That's what I intend on doing in my Baby nursery

30. by Anonymous on June 3, 2013  3:44 am

Could you use LED Christmas lights and make little clouds on them?

31. Pingback : DIY Cloud Lights Home Decor — DIY Color Burst